Sex and Relationships Education (SRE) is lifelong learning about physical, sexual, moral and emotional development. It is about the understanding of the importance of stable and loving relationships, respect, love and care, and family life. It involves acquiring information, developing skills and forming positive beliefs, values and attitudes.
Beaumont Leys School believes that sex and relationships education makes an essential contribution to every student’s health, wellbeing and preparation for adult life in society. It is an integral part of the PSHE / Citizenship programme under the umbrella of Learning for Life.
In addition, Beaumont Leys School believes that SRE should:
- Be an integral part of the lifelong learning process.
- Be an entitlement for all young people.
- Encourage every student to contribute.
- Encourage students and teachers to share and respect each other’s views. We are aware of different approaches to sexual orientation, without promotion of any particular family structure. The important values are love, respect and caring for each other.
- Generate an atmosphere where questions and discussion on sexual matters can take place without stigma or embarrassment.
- Recognise that parents/carers are the key people in teaching their children about sex, relationships and growing up. We aim to work in partnership with parents, carers and students, consulting them about the content of programmes.
- Recognise that the wider community has much to offer and we aim to work in partnership with other health and education professionals.
SRE is taught mainly via:
- Year 8 lessons: Identity and Differences
- L4L Year 10 lessons: Relationships, feelings, STI’s and contraception
Right of withdrawal:
‘Sex and Relationships Education’ is part of all students’ education, and it is hoped that all will participate. However, the school acknowledges that, some parents may wish to withdraw their children from all or part of the sex and relationships education programme, except for the parts which occurs in the National Science Curriculum. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact the school for further information.