In March 2014 we introduced the new role of Pupil Premium Champion. One of the key aspects of their role is to close the attainment gap between Pupil Premium and non-Pupil Premium cohorts. This is done by working to remove the barriers to learning for students and by supporting their personal and academic development.
Our key purpose in the creation of this role was to appoint a designated person to act as an advocate and champion the needs of our students who are eligible for Pupil Premium by working to remove barriers to learning for these students through the focused support of their personal and academic development.
The day to day responsibilities and tasks of our Pupil Premium Champion include:
- Develop constructive and supportive relationships with the Key Stage Pupil Premium cohort, and engage with students in order to maximise future choices
- Assist class teachers in lessons to ensure Pupil Premium students are making the required progress in lessons. Support with class work, revision, homework, and behaviour
- Mentor individuals, and small groups of students eligible for Pupil Premium, and liaise with the SENCO, YTL, FTL, and a range of other external agencies, as appropriate, so that students are able to access the curriculum and make or exceed the required progress
- Proactively seek out, identify, plan, organise, and lead an extensive variety of academic, social and esteeming interventions for students eligible for the Pupil Premium, including trips, study support, residential, and extended schools opportunities
- Proactively seek out, identify, plan, organise, and lead an extensive variety of interventions with the parents / carers of students eligible for Pupil Premium, to help the school close the achievement gap between Pupil Premium and Non Pupil Premium students
- Track interventions to identify improvement in students’ academic progress, attainment and attendance
- Maintain the Pupil Premium database ensuring that it is up to date for their Key Stage and track a range of data on Pupil Premium students’ performance, behaviour and attendance, and update any other confidential records
- Assist with monitoring and evaluating information and the compilation of reports, when required