The Applied Business course at Beaumont Leys School is an option subject taken in KS4. If chosen by students, they participate in three 1 hour lessons per week where they will cover a wide variety of business theories and concepts.
This qualification introduces students to both the practical and theoretical side of starting up and running a business. Teaching will be more focused on the practical elements of business and students will get a first-hand experience of the business environment through educational trips and independent research of local businesses.
The subject is divided into two assessed units that include seven topic areas.
Controlled Assessment– Unit 1: Investigating how businesses work
- What is a business and what do businesses do?
- How are businesses organised?
- Why are stakeholders so important?
Examination – Unit 2: Financial Records
- Investigating the flow of financial documents used in business trading
- Investigating business payment methods and costs
- Investigating the nature of financial statements in business
- Investigating the importance of financial statements to business
How the course is assessed
There is one piece of controlled assessment consisting of three separate tasks. This is completed in class throughout Year 10 and the completed in the early stages of Year 11.
|External Written Exam
There is also a 1 hour examination taken at the end of Year 11. This is based on the topic of Business Finance.